- Make sure that the shed is near to the house or clearly visible from the house.
- Make sure that the door, door frame and walls are solid and replace any damaged or rotten areas with new sections.
- Often sheds are left unlocked or without any appropriate security, such as padlocks, chains or lighting. By installing these simple items you can give better protection to your property.
- Replace broken glass panes with laminated glass. Fit windows with grille fixed steel plates inside the shed.
- Fit key-operated window locks on opening windows. If the windows are never opened, screw them permenantly shut from the inside.
- Use metal rings and chains fixed to the shed frame with security screws to enable you to secure your electrical items, ladders and tools.
- Fit a battery powered alarm. These can be purchased from DIY stores and garden centres.
- Make sure your household insurance policy covers theft from your garden and outbuildings.