Portable sat nav systems are installed in minutes, but removed by a thief in seconds! Here are some simple steps you can take to keep your satellite navigation system safe:
Some cars are available with in built satellite navigation system; these can’t be taken by opportunist thieves and are much more complex to remove.
- Close all windows and lock the doors when you leave your car, even if it’s only for a short while.
- Don’t leave anything on display in your car. Make sure you remove all parts of the system, including any support cradles and suction pads fitted to the windscreen.
- Don’t leave the sat nav in your glove compartment – it’s the first place a thief will look. Instead, leave your glove compartment open to show there is nothing inside and take the system and components away with you.
- If it’s not possible to take the navigation system away with you, then lock it safely in your boot.
- Keep a record of the make, model and serial number of the equipment. Store this somewhere safe, separately from the vehicle.
- Mark your system with your postcode and house number or vehicle registration using a special security marker such as an ultra-violet pen or SmartWater. This will make it difficult for thieves to sell your property and will enable police to return the items to you if they are taken.
Further information about vehicle security may be available by contacting your local Neighbourhood Policing Team. To find contact details of your Neighbourhood Policing Team, please go to www.leics.police.uk/policing or call 101.