Planning your journey
- Check the weather forecast, road conditions and consider alternative routes.
- Allow extra time to clear the windows properly and carry some de-icer.
- Ensure that your vehicle is prepared for the journey and has anti-freeze in it.
- Make sure all your lights work and that you use them to see, be seen and be safe.
- Check that all your tyre pressures are correct.
- Make sure you have sufficient windscreen washer fluid in the reservoir.
- Check that your petrol tank is sufficiently full.
- Carry warm clothing, blankets, a torch, a shovel, a bottle of water and suitable footwear.
During your Journey
- Reduce speed in bad weather.
- Increase stopping distances.
- Avoid sudden acceleration and braking.
- Use dipped headlights in poor conditions.
- Take regular breaks.
- Listen to travel bulletins.
- Observe information on Variable Message Signs.